Pages

Saturday, December 26

Resolutions Schmesolutions

Yesterday was Christmas and a very merry one at that. It has changed a lot since Brother and I were younger. Mother no longer has to tell us not to get up before the sun and we no longer hide alarm clocks under our pillows to keep us from “over sleeping.” It’s less magical, but more full of extended contentedness. And wine. And vodka and club soda (my new drink, thanks to my Godmother). And cussing.

Now that “Jesus’ birthday” (it’s not actually Jesus’ birthday, it is conveniently timed with a Pagan holiday) is over, New Year’s is quickly approaching. With a little bit of luck and planning I’ll be spending the Eve in a beach house with Coco, Green Bean, Twin, Mr.

Milley*, and a few other friends. If those plans pan out I probably

even know what I’m wearing—either the same thing I wore for

The Date or something utilizing my new black, suede, over-the-knee boots (if I can rock them without looking trashy/short/pirate-like). I’ll be drinking champagne, maybe vodka and club soda once that runs out. I may even make some classy hor d’oeuvres for the occasion. The Eve isn’t a problem, like it normally is. That’s in the bag.

What is the problem are my resolutions. I recently read, though I’m not sure where, that New Year’s resolutions are simply ways to put off things you could do tomorrow. I stand behind that stance most months of the year. But this close to the line in the sand I see nothing wrong with waiting a few extra days. To me, that doesn’t mean I should do the exact opposite of my resolutions, but I will get more serious once the magical hour strikes.

I don’t remember the last time that I really made resolutions that I actually fully acknowledged and worked towards achieving. This year is going to be different. I’ve already made so many changes and improved so much, what’s a few more goals? I haven’t really come up with these resolutions yet, but I’m working on them.

Here’s what I’ve got so far:

Approaching eating and exercising from a health, not appearance mindset. A sub goal of that will be to participate in either the Susan G. Koman 3-day 60-mile breast cancer walk or the Avon Foundation 2-day 39-mile walk. Both are worthwhile events, it just depends on who does it with me and how ambitious we are when we start training.

Read more non-required readings.

Learn to cook meat. For some reason, despite my great love for a big slab-o-meat, I never really cook it. I just can’t ever tell when it’s done cooking.

That’s all I’ve got so far. I’m sure I’ll think of better or different ones in the coming days. In the meantime, I’ll just eat more baked goods (chocolate biscotti, thumbprints, stollen, oh my!) and read more of my latest pleasure reading—One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (ignore the Oprah's Book Club stamp). I highly recommend all of those things.

*Mr. Milley-formerly known as Mark. It appears that due to a good report from Twin after our last encounter he's going to be a recurring figure in my life, so I figured I'd give him a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment